Mughlai Cuisine: Shahi Murgh Badami
Serves: 6-8 People
Time Required: 60 Minutes
1. 5 tbs vegetable oil;
2. 1 kg. chicken, skin and cut into 8
3. ¼ kg finely chopped onion;
4. 100 gms blanched almonds in slivers;
5. 8 green cardamoms;
6. 2 tbsp. Whole coriander;
7. 2 tbsp. poppy seeds (khuskhus) ;
8. ½ tsp. Chilly powder;
9. 2 cups yoghurt;
10. 1 glass water;
11. 1 tsp salt.
1. Heat 3 tbsp oil in a heavy bottomed pan.
2. Add chicken and fry till golden and drain excess oil
3. Add balance 2 tbs oil and heat.
4. Add silvered almonds and fry golden. Drain.
5. Lightly brown sliced onions
6. Add almonds, coriander seeds, cardamom and Khuskhus. Cook together for 5 minutes.
7. Add chilly powder, salt. Stir well and remove from heat
8. Let mixture cool then puree in a blender
9. Return to pan and add fried chicken pieces
10. Cook and coat chicken
11. Add all the yoghurt spoon by spoon, stirring after each addition.
12. Cover pan tightly – reduce heat and let chicken simmer for 45-60 minutes, till tender.
13. Let the sauce thicken
Place on platter and sprinkle with lightly fried almonds. Serve hot.
*Kewra essence is a strongly scented flavouring essence usedin festive dish, both sweet and savoury, of north India. It is used to flavour beverages, desserts and to add an exotic, flowery